1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean intermittent catheters for my 12 year old girl, help!

Discussion in 'IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ' started by Charlie5angel, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Charlie5angel

Charlie5angel New Member

hi there, I'm new to this site, I'm after any one who can offer me as a parent any help or advice on clean intermittent catheters, my daughter has had very complex bladder problems, one of which she had a hemi-nemphrectomy, think I've spelt it right! She is now suffering from severe bladder retention which has now resulted in her having to learn to catheterise herself which is a task in itself for an adult let alone a child! We have had some training in a London hospital but obviously she is finding this very difficult and probably very embarrassing because of her age. We have been given three weeks supply of catheters to practice at home in her own environment but to no avail, it doesn't help that she had a bad experience about 3 years ago with the dreaded catheter before she went for an MRI scan and I think it's a lot of fear and anxiety bless her, she knows this is the best solution for her and the only other alternative is an operation which could result in her having to wear a bag, so she knows the importance of it all but we are just struggling to get her to progress further than the tip just touching the wee hole, sorry tmi! Just could do with someone who has been through similar or just some support because we are at our wits end

Thank you in advance xx

2. Michael Relihan

Michael Relihan New Member

Hi Charlie
    No doubt you have tried but what about advice from your health care professional or from a manufacturer of intermittent catheters like Teleflex
    You can also pose the question by email or phone on the BLadder & Bowel help section
    They may be able to put you in touch with a nurse who has experience treating similar situations

Good luck
    Mike